Thursday 2 February 2012

Dealing with stress

Today I am stressed, I have been feeling stressed for about 2 weeks now, from finding a house, arranging work for an up coming field course and the ever increasing amount of coursework I have been getting, but today, It is something much worse. For one of my modules this year we have been put into groups that have to give a small lecture on a given subject. We have to give a lecture to over 200 fellow students. Today I was chosen to give that lecture... Oh My God. Below is how I was feeling when I found out...

This is me, I know scary!
So I was like Sh*t and other rude words, my heart was pounding and I was trying to think of any way to get out of it. Once I realised I couldn't, I began to deal with it and now, (though still quite terrified) feel calm about it and just determined to do well.

Here are a few ways in which I reduced my level of stress.
  1. Thought of the positives, I can put that I have delivered a lecture to over 200 people on my CV, it is a great learning experience and the more I speak publicly the better I will get at it!
  2. I am going to be very prepared, the more I know the subject, the easier it will be to give the lecture. The worst idea is to put it off, to try to forget about it and hope it will go away, It won't it will in the end just cause you more stress. Throw yourself into the work head on.
  3. Practice, similar to the point above, but I am going to practice lots! My poor house mates will have to listen to me over and over again and I will record myself giving the lecture so that I can hear myself and hear what I need to improve.
  4. Feign confidence. I think this is very important, I am generally told I  give good presentations and that I am seen as confident. However it is all fake, most of the time I am terrified but I pretend that I am confident and people tend to believe the act!
Hopefully all these points will make sure I give a good lecture next week, I bloody well hope so! Now I better get to work! I will let you know how I do! :)

P.S Remember soon all that stress will be gone, everything passes, It will get better, always remember that!

<3

2 comments:

  1. Blogtastic coping with stress is never easy but trying to view it as a positive is one good idea. It will as you say soon pass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it will, hopefully it will go well! xx

    ReplyDelete